I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas. I certainly did. I am on the ship right now, another duty day for me. Here’s what I’ve been perusing on the world wide web:
- Over at Minorleagueball.com they have an interesting discussion going on right now – You’re the GM! San Diego Padres Edition. A lot of knowledgable and opinionated Padres fans out there. A majority of the discussion is centered around the pros and cons of trading away Jake Peavy and/or Adrian Gonzalez. Right now, I’m in the camp that 2009 is going to be rough and the front office needs to plan for 2010. At least listen to offers and see if you can get someone to blow you away.
- WaxHeaven has a preview of the upcoming 2008 Topps Mayo football set. Basically, Topps Mayo will be to football what Allen & Ginter is to baseball. Great retro design, plus the autographs will be on-card (good call by Topps). Scheduled for release January 8, 2009.
- If you haven’t seen the new ESPN 360 commercials featuring TV pitchman Billy Mays, well you probably haven’t been tuning in to ESPN. Hilarious.
- Everything is pretty quiet on the Trevor Hoffman front. With K-Rod and Kerry Woods both signing, that leaves Brian Fuentes, Hoffman, and Eric Gagne as the best closers available. With this being a buyer’s market for closers, The Sacrifice Bunt makes a good argument that Hoffman could still finish his career in a Padres uniform.
- The Padres add some players to compete for pitching spots during Spring Training.
- Meanwhile, besides looking for after-Christmas bargains, my focus this weekend will be on the showdown between the Chargers and Broncos. This rivalry has heated up the past few seasons. After going 4-8, I couldn’t imagine that the Chargers would be in a position to make the playoffs. This was an obvious down year for the Chargers, after having dominated the AFC West the past couple of seasons. Despite the mediocre record, there wasn’t a team in the West that could take advantage. I have a feeling that the Colts are secretly hoping for a Broncos victory.
Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.